Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Hjhjh, I have a female cockatiel aged 2 yrs 3 months, Since

Customer Question

hjhjh
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a female cockatiel aged 2 yrs 3 months, Since 1 year she has been laying eggs but none of them turned to be buddies.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: in this one year she laid 5 times. each time it was laying 4 eggs. Food habbits are millets/cooked rice birds name is Sunny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunny?
Customer: I have a female cockatiel aged 2 yrs 3 months, Since 1 year she has been laying eggs but none of them turned to be buddies. In this one year she laid 5 times. each time it was laying 4 eggs. Food habits are millets/cooked rice/Curry rice/bread and cashews. Everyday, she takes half cashew nut. Yesterday it had full cashew. Two days back it had omlette. For the last two days she was having watery droppings. From morning till afternoon its having complete water droppings. Afternoon we have contacted a vet doc, he advised to have 2 drops of metrogyl (metronidazole benzoate ) morning and night. After using that medication it went twice for poo. First time, it had complete white with little watery and for the second time it had white + dark black poo. After that it didnt go for urine/poo. But she is not taking food/water and she is unable to walk with head tucked down. So please suggest what should we do in order to get back to her normal state. we live in india and we dont have bird vets. we are all worried. My son and wife are completely under dejection.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in bird health. I'm sorry to hear of these problems.

Repeated egg laying is very hard on a female bird. If no male is present, the eggs will not hatch, but it still depletes her body. It would be good to try to stop the egg laying.

It can help to provide lots of toys and interesting things to do in her cage. Give her only part of her toys at a time, and change them every week. That way, they'll always seem new.

The American Cockatiel Society recommends removing some of the stimulus to mate and lay eggs. For example, limit the amount of daylight your bird is exposed to so it seems like winter, rather than breeding season. If her cage is in a room that is lit at night, move to a darker room or cover the cage. She should have 14 hours of darkness every day. Keep her cage where she can't see or hear birds that are outdoors. Change the location of the cage frequently. You can read all of the recommendations in detail at the Society's site:

http://www.acstiels.com/Articles/Health/pet_advisors_mail_box.html

The steps above may help with egg laying, but the other problems are going to require an avian vet's help. There is one in India. If that one is too far away from you, the vet you presently see can call them for a phone consultation. That way they can figure out the best steps to take.

DR.YUVRAJ KAGINKAR, DIRECTOR
MYVETS 4 PETS
SHOP NO- 2, BAWA TOWERS
NEAR NARAYAN NAGAR
CHUNNABHATTI, SION
400022
MOB :-(###) ###-####/p>

In Mumbai:
Dr.Shivani Tandel(###) ###-####/p>

Let me know if you need anything else. I hope your bird will be fine.

Anna