Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My mom found him sitting at the bottom of his cage this

Customer Question

My mom found him sitting at the bottom of his cage this morning. She touched him and he didn't respond. Come to find out his water dish was bone dry.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: I had mom get a heating pad and pedialyte.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem hurt. I'm wondering if he has had a stroke? He is 16 yrs old.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name?
Customer: He has drunk quite a lot of water and pedialyte. His gullet is now full. Gandolf he is a time grey
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He is very weak he is sitting up on the back of his legs but he can not stand
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: I'm here
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please call me now
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 30 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Gandolf appears to be be critically ill. The biggest clue is his drinking excessively (poyldipsia) and to the point that he drank his water dish dry. Such polydipsia is seen with both renal and hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, cancer of the pituitary or pineal gland, Cushing's disease, and low calcium, high phosphorus diets (seed diets). An avian vet (please see here: will be necessary to thoroughly examine Gandlof including diagnostids in the form of blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.