August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

We have 2 cockateils, do not know which is male or female,

Customer Question

we have 2 cockateils, do not know which is male or female, at the moment hatched 5 eggs, the 1 bird has been sitting on the eggs all was good, but today, very lethargic, does not move or chirp very different, should we worry, and take him somewhere, her or his behaivour very strange, can you please advise us. we are concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cockatiel. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cockatiel?
Customer: about a month ago we thought he ingested some poison, but when checked
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 30 days ago.

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

It appears your question got cut off. Who checked for poison ingestion and how was he/she checked? What kind of poison did you suspect was ingested?

Please attach a pic of the bird and I'll try to help you with sexing

I'm quite concerned about what you're seeing mainly because these symptoms don't come on 'all of a sudden' - chances are high that whatever is wrong has been happening for a while and these birds are remarkable at what's called "masking" (hiding illness or weakness of any sort with every last drop of energy they have).

So by the time we see them acting off, we have to deal with something pretty established and then try to figure out the how and why going back in time

Are any of the eggs hatched? How long ago were they laid?

Tell me a bit about what they are fed (ie: predominantly seeds or pellets and any fresh foods they might regularly eat)