Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I noticed less activity and general weakness several days

Customer Question

I noticed less activity and general weakness several days ago. Now she is hunkered down not moving, she can't stand, and has a swollen and fairly hard lower abdomen, yellow diarrhea. She is alert, eating and drinking, but not moving at all. She does not appear to be in any pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: River
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about River?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I know that you're aware that a chicken who has been ill for at least several days and who can't stand and has a swollen abdomen is critically ill. These aren't hens expected to survive - at least not without intensive care in a hospitalized setting and even then their prognosis is grave. Her swollen abdomen (coelom) is the most important clue and so I'd like you to review this link for the most common causes of such a symptom. All would need the attention of an avian vet. After reading, Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.