Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My duck is walking but can't hold up his head, No ,but when

Customer Question

My duck is walking but can't hold up his head ,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No ,but when you put his head on top of something so that it wouldn't hang he tries to get on top
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. How old is walking?
Customer: He's about one and a half years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about walking?
Customer: No because he moving around by himself but it's just that he can't hold up his head he'll walk then drop his head then walk again
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your duck. You appear to be describing "limberneck" caused by botulism. Ducks that have access to stagnant ponds or other areas where decaying organic matter (animal carcasses, in particular) is found may consume toxins produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This happens when temperature and other conditions are right for the growth of this anaerobic spore-forming bacterium. Botulism can cause a progressive flaccid (limp) paralysis of the neck (limberneck), legs and wings. Affected ducks often go on to die in a coma within days. How long has your duck been unable to hold up his head?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin