nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

My birds fluff their feathers a lother and sneeze, Budgie

Customer Question

My birds fluff their feathers a lother and sneeze
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Budgie parakeet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: That is all
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned that your wee one is fluffing up her feathers while showing respiratory signs. This is because as a prey species birds go out of their way to hide that they are feeling unwell (since advertizing you are makes you a target for predation). Often we only see signs like this when the situation is advanced. Furthermore, where the sneezing raises concerns of allergies and infectious processes (ie bacteria, viruses, protozoa), her feeling poorly with this makes infectious issues even more a worry and also raises concerns of whether she is a breathe properly here.
Therefore, in this situation, we would be best to be proactive here. Ideally, we'd want her to see her vet so that they can listen to her heart and lungs. Depending on their findings, they can start antibiotics, anti-parasitics, and symptomatic care to give her the best chance of recovery.

Finally, in the meantime until you can have her seen, I would note that you will want to remove any airborne products you are using (ie sprays, powders, teflon cooking items, candles, cigarette smoke, etc). As well, you can carefully take her into the bathroom (in her cage is fine) while you run a hot shower. The steam will hopefully reduce airway congestion and sneezing for her. As well, do make sure she continues to eat/drink and you can also cover 3sides of her age to help keep the warmth in for her.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )