Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

He has fast respiration with open beak. Just noticed this

Customer Question

He has fast respiration with open beak. Just noticed this this evening and wonder if he has something lodged in his throat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Sunny. Approx. 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?
Customer: No. He is normally a healthy bird. Has fathered two healthy cock birds. I took him out of the aviary as one of his off spring was picking on him. He is happily indoors and can see and hear the other birds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in bird health.If Sunny has something in his throat, he would probably be coughing or acting like he needs to regurgitate. That would be how he would try to get it out. It's also likely that he wouldn't want to eat because it would be hard for him to swallow.Another reason a bird might breathe rapidly with an open beak is that he is overheated. It has the be very warm for that to happen.A respiratory problem is a very likely cause of this, too. Sometimes there is a nasal discharge with this, but not always. Infection in the lungs may not result in a discharge. Other respiratory conditions, such as polyps or a tumor somewhere in the system can also be responsible.Unless Sunny is simply too warm, there isn't anything you can do on your own for any of these problems. You will need to see your vet. The vet can look in the nostrils and throat, and take X-rays to determine what is wrong. If something is in Sunny's throat, the vet can safely get it out. If Sunny has an infection, a safe prescription - such as Baytril- can be prescribed. Even if there are no avian vets in your area, a regular vet can research what to do, and can certainly check Sunny's throat.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Sunny will be fine.Anna