nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I have a very old cockatiel (twenty-four) and he has

Customer Question

I have a very old cockatiel (twenty-four) and he has developed diarrhea. I have been giving him, and our other birds a forti diet that was supposed to keep this from happening. Our local bird vets are very poor and we have lost to many to poor knowledge. Its bad when you know more than the vet and need help. He has vegies and various scambled eggs and such through the week. His water has small amount of Nekton in it. Each bird has their own cage and they do not share food ect. Do you have a suggestion that we can try? Thank you, .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Jessy is twenty-four. We have had him since he was a baby.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jessy?
Customer: He has taken to being on the floor the last two days. This is not a good sign.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I share your concern about Jessy. Especially since it sounds like the diarrhea is starting to take a toll on him.

While its good that you do have him on a good diet, to see diarrhea despite this suggests that we don't have a nutritional issue causing these signs. Instead an infectious (ie bacterial, viral, protozoal, parasitic) or systemic (ie secondary to organ issues, metabolic disease, etc) factor would be our suspect here.

With this in mind and since he's already showing signs that this is making him feel unwell, we do need to proactive. I would first note that you can check for a proper avian vet near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Otherwise, you may need to consider submitting a stool sample to the vet you noted for analysis. This can be done without having him seen and if it is sent to the lab then you can start ruling out infectious agents. Depending on the findings of this, we will be able to either rule those out or if it is positive then knowing what is there will help you and the vet know how to address this for him.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** care at this stage, do consider using an avian probiotic (ie Avipro plus, Bene-bac, or Nekton have a Biotic-bird formulation etc) to support his gut, facilitate digestion, and counter some of his loses. Continue to offer fluids and if he isn't drinking well then tempt him with a bit of fruit juice mixed in. Or you can use an electrolyte solution (ie Vit-al, or a bit of unflavored Pedilyte) to replenish both fluids and electrolytes being lost here. Finally, you can try increasing the fiber (ie feeding canned/cooked pumpkin, fiber rich veggies, etc) in his diet as this will bulk up his stools and help reduce the diarrhea as you have that stool check and address anything found amiss.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )