Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cockatiel got attacked by a cat. Puncture wound in middle

Customer Question

Hello, my cockatiel got attacked by a cat. Puncture wound in middle of back and two under left wing. Her eyes are open and seems alert. She can walk. I put some antibiotic salve given to me by my bird vet on her wounds. I cleaned her up. put on salve. Now she is at bottom of cage, mouth opened labored breath, head twitching to left
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: no blood
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 8?
Customer: her name is Elbie. I have called my bird vet and they finally answered. I am not sure what the twitch of the head is about. her right wing is not punctured as it seems pretty beat up under right. My vet said to bring her in. I hope she can make it. Do you know why she would be twitching her head in one direction and mouth open
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear this situation with your girl. I'm going to be honest and say that what you're describing has me very concnerned. She may be twitching her head as neurologically she's that distressed from the incident. Could there be intracranial swelling or discomfort there? Could she have some muscles in the neck area that are damaged and firing off to cause this. With her at the bottom of the cage and open more breathing, she's very distressed. Getting her to your vet ASAP is absolutely what is needed. She needs to be in a warm enclosure with supplemental oxygen and atibiotics systemically started. Can she get through this? Your vet is going to give her that best chance!