Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My Caique is making a very loud grinding sound about every

Customer Question

Hi, my Caique is making a very loud grinding sound about every hour in the middle of the night. It is not beak grinding. I am very concerned. She also seems to have a lump in her crop, but I am not certain if the two things are related. Do I need to rush her to the vet? Her breathing seems regular. Thanks!
Category: Bird
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Let me ask couple of questions first to know if she should be seen today. Any tail bobbing? Any evidence of regurgitation around her beak or head? You said the crop has a lump, so very full? Has the size of the crop gone down since you last posted? What are you feeding Zena? Can you post a picture of her? Lets start there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. No evidence of reverberation. She still has about the same size lump. She does not seem sick and wanted to come out as usual. I haven't heard the noise for several hours. She eats a huge variety including seeds, pellets, fruits and veggies. She just took a huge healthy poop.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is now eating her seeds.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

thank you for the picture. I just wanted to make sure that the crop was not overly distended. We can see crops stasis is birds. this is where the crop becomes over distended due to a lack of motility. Hers is not distended. the crop not emptying properly is usually a sign of inflammation which can be secondary to a yeast overgrowth, infection or toxicity (lead/zinc). The sounds she was making last night may have been associated with discomfort. I always recommend a healthy Vegan diet for birds. Minimal seeds because they are not a good source of nutrition. I would encourage fruits and veggies today and see how behaves through the day. Do you have an avian veterinarian?

love the shower pic!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have a regular vet, but he isn't back to the office until Tuesday. Can she wait?

If she is not actively regurgitating, is bright and alert and is eating, then that should be fine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. We will wait. She is so nuts and puts everything in her mouth. Could it be a foreign body? Thank you so much for your help. We love her so much.

It would be a little unusual to see a foreign body, but not impossible. You are very welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response.

Hi Amanda Hills,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zena. How is everything going?

katjadvm