Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Thank you!!! He seems swollen and molting, His name is Pepe

Customer Question

hi Thank you!!! HI He seems swollen and molting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepe?
Customer: nope. He is aGouldian finch He has a mate she is not a year
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the swelling is his neck under his beak it has no feathers
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I can understand molting leaving areas on Pepe's body bare. This isn't preferable in the wild because it compromises a bird's ability to fly. When caged it's less dire for birds. The swelling under his beak is his crop which swells when distended with food. It's more apparent because it isn't covered with feathers at this time. You need only ensure that Pepe is well nourished so he can replace those feathers he lacks. Finches have a simple dietary requirement but will benefit from hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?