Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have rescued, or adopted a 16-year-old male Mullucan

Customer Question

Hi! I have rescued, or adopted a 16-year-old male Mullucan cockatoo who appears otherwise healthy except that in the last week he has taken to limping on his right leg. He still uses it to grasp things and he lifts it up to chew on his toes or clean his feet but he won't stand on it. I have an appointment with a avian that but not until next week and I'm just curious if there might be something going on that I'm not aware of that would make me want to get him in sooner. Possibly related behavior is that about the same time he started limping, when he runs he puts his beak on the tile floor in rubs it along as he runs while limping. I don't know if that's normal behavior or if it may be that he's trying to change his angle while he runs to take pain away....?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. As you might imagine, assessing musculoskeletal disorders/trauma from a distance is quite difficult for me. I would examine Salty's leg from the tip of his toenails to his hip looking for subtle changes in his foot suggestive of pododermatitis (bumblefoot) or articular gout (seen in association with chronic renal insufficiency) in any of the joints of his leg, as well as swellings or other skin changes suggestive of sprains, strains, or neoplasia (cancer). Hypocalcemia (low serum calcium level) might result in lameness as well. I don't believe that his beak behavior is related to his lameness but your idea is certainly valid.

I expect that his avian vet will perform such an examination and if nothing untoward is found, recommend X-rays and diagnostics in the form of blood, urine, and feces testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.