Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 7 month old Canary has a large protruding bump on his

Customer Question

My 7 month old Canary has a large protruding bump on his wing. It was round about the size of a dime when I bought him. After 1 month his bump has grown oui
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: out and is hanging down to the point that it is beginning to hinder his balance when jumping from bar to bar in his cage.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He is happy and reacts to me when I talk to him, also sings most of the day. He does not seem to be in pain, however he does fluff his feathers quite a bit now. I understand that he had been pecked often by another bird when they were together.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Penney
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penney?
Customer: Thats all I know about Penney
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Penny. You appear to be describing a feather cyst which appear as in-grown feathers forming hard, yellow nodules on the skin of canaries. Those nodules contain trapped and curlng feathers and as the feathers continue to grow, the nodule grows. They may actually be benign neoplasms ("new growths") of the feather follicle. Treatment of individual cysts can be conservative, simply lancing and expressing the contents of the cyst. Recurrence is common unless surgical excision of the affected follicle is performed. Cysts on the wings may not be amenable to surgery without partial wing amputation and so conservative therapy may be warranted so long as you're aware of the probability of an ongoing problem. An avian vet (please see here: can advise concerning the best approach to Penney.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.