August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

Had eye infection in one eye, took to vet and gave bird

Customer Question

had eye infection in one eye, took to vet and gave bird vitamin shot and we administered antibiotics for 10 days. Now he keeps both eyes shut most of the time and he spends most of the day with head in feathers.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: Sleeping most of the time, rarely opens eyes. On revisit to vet after 7 days vet seemed to think he was getting better and told us to go 3 more days with antibiotic
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. I'm sorry Coco is sick. With both eyes being affected in a bird, I tend to worry about sinusitis or a sinus infection. Coco should have`some bloodwork to evaluate for other issues, such as liver and kidney disease. She should also have a sterile sinus flush to collect samples for culture. It is worrisome that she is so sedate. What type of bird and how old is she? What is her diet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is a male parokeet, he eats Hartz small bird diet and Millett , we had it for 3 years, a friend gave it to us because he had asma

Hello. Once of the first things I would do is get him on a pelleted diet (no seeds) and sunshine factor (supplement). Predominantly seed diets lead to vitamin deficiencies which can lead to inflammation and infections. No antibiotic will help if he doesn't have a strong immune system. I recommend Harrison's super fine. There are a few good diets (Zupreem). The transitioning to a newer food can be tricky with a parakeet. They can be very stubborn. I will try to post a link to the Harrison's website that reviews how to transition. Give me a moment please.