Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I think my femail duck was injured when my big male tried to

Customer Question

I think my femail duck was injured when my big male tried to mount her. She won't walk she stays on her stomach with her legs stretched out behind her. When I put her in her pool she paddles weakly but seems to enjoy it. I removed the male and have her separated with food and water within easy reach.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes her feet are fine
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: She is called stripe and she is 4 months old. The male us also 4months old and is very large while she is on the small side.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about stripe?
Customer: No, except we ordered a Peking duck, but she is light brown.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Injury is very difficult for me to assess from afar. An avian vet (please see here: would need to carefully examine Stripe to see if she needed anything more than a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam which should make her feel better as she healed from simple bruising. I understand your logistical constraints, however, as avian vets are difficult to find much less for waterfowl. You can dissolve one adult aspirin (325 mg) in one pint of drinking water and restrict her to that water for as long as necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?