Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a two year old Toulouse goose who is very swollen

Customer Question

I have a two year old Toulouse goose who is very swollen under her chin. Can she be given benadryl?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toulouse?
Customer: She feels pretty low and is sleeping alot.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. While diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be given to ducks, I would find it to be inappropriate considering what you're seeing. An allergic reaction isn't as likely as infection when swelling as you've described is seen. Her feeling poorly and somnolence (sleepiness) suggests the fever of an infection. Can you upload a photo(s) of this swelling to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think it was a sting because this has happened before with the same resulrs. As before the swelling is very sudden and goes down in a day or two, and her current swelling has already gone down. We have fruit trees that have fallen fruit. Yellow jackets, wasps or hornets burrow into the fruit and I suspect she may have eaten fruit laying on the ground that had one of them inside.Can geese tolerate benadryl? And if so what dosage?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot seem to get a picture to transmit. But the picture isn't very useful anyway.

Thank you for the additional information. That's a great pic which is now in my customer photo folder. I need to hunt for a dose. This isn't something I use in geese. Give me a moment, please.

One of my colleagues suggests 1 mg/lb once daily. It's very bitter and poorly accepted by birds so you'll need to disguise it well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I may not use it this time but if it happens again in the future and she has a worse reaction I know what to do. Can that dosage be given only once per day or more often?

Apparently the pharmacokinetics of the drug in birds dictates once daily administration but I doubt there are specific studies of the drug in geese. The use of so many drugs in birds is necessarily off-label and poorly studied.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmmm...so "once a day" is the recommended, but our here in the real world it might be a more "play it by ear" approach.Thanks, ***** ***** I have an idea about where to start if this happens again.Thanks again.

Yes, this is a drug that we can fiddle with in dogs and cats predicated upon need. Dosing varies at 1-2 mg/lb up to every 8 hours in those species.