Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Over the weekend a parakeet flew to one of my windows at

Customer Question

over the weekend a parakeet flew to one of my windows at home. my husband was able to catch him. we brought him in and feed him some seeds from my love bird. I bought him a cage and placed him in it. he spent most of the time eating and sleeping. my husband looked at him this morning and he was still sleeping. we are worried that there may be something wrong. if we take him out he is alert but after awhile he falls asleep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the parakeet. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the parakeet?
Customer: the parakeets poop is kind of brown. is that normal?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

There's a good chance that this parakeet is simply exhausted from being far more active after escaping his previous home. He needs to be placed in a dimly lit unlikely to be disturbed area until he rests sufficiently. He's likely to be malnourished at this time and so will need an exemplary diet. His droppings reflect whatever he's been eating outside. The brown color isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

I applaud your rescuing him! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.