nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I am wanting some help as about 3 weeks ago my female Guinea

Customer Question

Hello there I am wanting some help as about 3 weeks ago my female Guinea pig had overgrown molars and I took her to one vet and he was meant to know a lot about Guniea pigs so he filed down her molars and that afternoon I got her back and she still wasn't right. So 2 days later I took her back and then he told me to wait a week and see her things went. But she wasn't able to eat on her own. So I took her back the week later and he said that she had a spur on one of her molars so he filed that down and then I brought her home and she still wasn't eating. So I took her to another vet and he look at her teeth but he said they look OK as far as he could see. But when he did the filing back of her teeth he said that her molars had been filed back flat and he told me that her molars should be on a angle. So he did try and get her molars back onto a angle but he said he couldn't get them perfect!!My question is if her molars are flat then when her teeth keep growing will they come back into a angle or will she now always have problems and have to get her teeth filed back all the time.The vet thinks that she may need to have them filed back every 2-4 weeks.Can you please help me!!
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Provided that she eats properly and wears her teeth, the angle will restore itself as the teeth grow back. So, this isn't a permanent issue and future dental treatments would only be necessary if she doesn't wear her teeth properly. That said, if she isn't eating well, then you will need to tread with care. Ideally, we'd want to be hand feeding or syringe feeding (ie using Oxbow or Supreme foods) to keep her eating and would also want her on some pain relief. As well, if she continues to have discomfort, then we may need an xray to make sure it isn't the tooth roots causing her pain.

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Sometimes we do see the roots over grow under the jawline. When this happens, they can damage tissues within the face but also cause tooth root abscesses. So, hopefully not an issue here but something to keep in mind as we feed her and get her teeth back into normal wear with one another.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The vet thinks that her teeth won't grow back onto the angle that it needs to be.Have you seen this happen where the Guniea pigs teeth have been filed flat and they have come back to normal.She is trying to eat but she has abit of trouble tearing and ripping.She is on metacam for pain for 5 days. As when the vet did the dental hen he saw that she had a ulcer in her mouth.
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I have and they do tend to grow back fine. Its only if they were in such a manner that the teeth don't meet properly to wear when they eat. But that is rare and usually an issue if a tooth is fractured not trimmed. And I am glad she is on Metacam for ulcer related discomfort and if the teeth have been taking back quite short, they can be a bit awkward with eating as well as with sores. So, as the ulcer heals and the teeth grow out a bit she should improve with her eating.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am finding that my Guniea pig has trouble tearing or ripping off bits of Vegies or grass!!Is that normal??
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

It is not abnormal to see in guinea pigs that have had dental work done. Often it takes a few days for them to adjust to the way the teeth now feel, but it is usually temporary.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if her molars have be filed down flat then her teeth will still come back on the angle.As vet says that most likely she will need more dental as he tried to Put the angle back into her teeth but it wasn't perfect!!
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

They do tend to wear them back into line, so if the angle is the only issue she has with her teeth then we'd expect this to settle with time and not cause long term bother. Of course, if she has a malocclusion naturally (where the teeth aren't aligned properly to wear each other), then future dentistry with that would be a concern.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was fine till she got the overgrown molars but the vet that did her teeth filed them flat but the vet that did it probely said we would have to wait and see but he said that its Likely to need more dental In 2 to 4 weeks. So is it nomral to hear her grinding her teeth together???
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

If the did overgrow, there is a risk of that being a future issue needing regular dentistry. Otherwise, you are right to have a check with the vet in a few weeks to make sure all is coming along as it should. That said, if she is grinding her teeth a lot, this could be a sign of oral discomfort despite pain relief. So, if it is just a bit, you can monitor her. But if she is doing this often and its not settling as she adjusted to their dental work, then we may need an xray to make sure there are no tooth root problems that haven't been diagnosed.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it's a tooth root problem then what happens then? She is able to eat some corn husk when I do strip it into little pieces for her. Will that help her grind down her teeth??
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Any fibrous foods will help with that. Otherwise, it depends on what they find. If it is a tooth root abscess is present, antibiotics are usually indicated. But if there is an overgrowing root, it can mean surgery to remove it for them.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is on antibiotics at the moment for her ulcer so will that clear up any infection that she has??
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I find that when she is eatting grass then she will eat some and then she will use her foot to pull the food out of her mouth. Can you tell me why she is doing that???
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

It will depend on the infection type to whether the antibiotics would work for it as well. We'd hope it would but cannot assume. So we'd need to monitor that. Otherwise it just sound like she is getting grass caught as she chews it and is this removing it. We'd hope this will be less of an issue as she adjusts to the changes post treatment.

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But is it normal for me to hear her grinding her teeth. And she is able to eat some grass and I think she had some trouble bite into a corn cob? Is it normal for her to grind her teeth when she is not eatting anything????
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

As I noted before grinding can be a pain sign. So if she does it without food, then I'd be concerned that then pain relief may not be enough to that there is more going as as we discusses. So if she is doing this often, we'd want her reassessed by her second vet.

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello I need to know I have the girl with 2 other Guniea pigs and one of them keep chasing he girl that has had the dental problem.Can you tell me why this girl is chasing the girl that's had the dental???
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

If they are chasing her, then she needs to be separated from them. This could be bullying since she is not feeling herself, but can also be due to her smelling unfamiliar (smelling of the vets, medications, etc).

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The girl that had dental was just trying to eat some grass near her and then she just started to chase her but I don't think she was biting her tho?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could t be that she knows that something is wrong with her.
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

I am glad she isn't biting her, but she needs to be isolated and protected from bullying when she is trying to eat. And yes, they will be well aware that she isn't completely well.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am finding that when I do feed the girl some critical care that I can't hear her grinding her teeth as much now.Is that a good sign that she is wearing her teeth down??
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

That is a very good signs and we'd want to keep up on the good work and give her time to wear them down further.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have taken that girl out of her cage and put another girl in. But the girl that was chasing her was only young!!
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Age doesn't matter, if they sense one isn't well then bullying can occur regardless.

Dr. B

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you know much about Guniea pigs as the girl that had her dental done about 7 days ago is still not eatting much on her own.I am starting to get worried about her!!!
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see guinea pigs everyday along with other companion species in my practice. So, I do have quite a bit of experience with this species. Usually it does take a few days for them to adjust to their teeth post-filing/dental. But if you are worried and she isn't showing positive progress then so have the vet recheck her at this point since we need to make sure we are on the right track and getting this all settled for her.

Take care,

Dr. B.