Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I always look out the backyard every morning to check on my

Customer Question

hi...,i always look out the backyard every morning to check on my emu Mokka...thismorning i noticed Mokka looked different. ..just under his beak looked swollen or sagging down....sortof like a small pelican bill i guess u could say...,Mokka is about 1 y/old now..,n i think hes a boy for he is getting a slight blue color on his face....,he still seems to be eating but is acting a bit this my emu maturing or has he eaten something or sick do you think?
JA: I'm sure Mokka feels you are doing your best. The Veterinarian will know if Mokka will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mokka?
Customer: he or she is our family pet and is great with my two young girls..,he is a great protector of them and the backyard and sits by the trampoline everyday and keeps a close watch over them..;he and my dog Dexter also get along quite well...,i recently lost my young ram Rambo to unknown circumstances. ..,Mokka yousto follow him around everywhere ...,they were best mates...;maybe he is fretting over the loss.???
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear of Mokka's problem.

Acting a bit off could be the result of losing his friend, but in combination with the swelling, I am concerned that he may be ill. Swelling under the beak can occur with ear infections, as well as several diseases. The best thing to do would be to have Mokka seen by an avian vet. It's better to be safe than sorry. This link will take you to a directory of such vets in Australia:

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope it will turn out that Mokka is fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. This rating is for my service, personally, not the JustAnswer site as a whole. Thank you!