Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Heindel. I was hoping you could help with a African grey

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Heindel.
I was hoping you could help with a African grey female bird we have.
She has been sitting in her nesting box for around 60 days now and we have just removed the eggs from her as they were not going to hatch.
Today I noticed her out of the box in the cage but spotted some blood discharge from around her bottom!
Later in the day I noticed she was very week and have now moved her to a separate cage and I'm trying to feed her some water but she's not interested, you normally can't get anywhere near her but at the moment she will allow anyone to handle her.
What should I do? I live in uk and there is no avian vet for 100's of Kms
Regards Toby
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Toby, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Removing her eggs was smart but you also need to remove anything that could be construed as nesting material and even re-arrange the "furniture" in her cage in order to make it unattractive as a nest site. This induces a certain amount of environmental stress and reduces territoriality. The cause of the blood you're seeing is unclear but considering her recent laying, a reproductive disorder is likely. Oophoritis (bacterial, fungal, or viral infection of the ovaries), neoplasia (cancer) of the ovaries, salpingitis and metritis (bacterial infections of the lower reproductive tract), and egg-binding are all important differential diagnoses. An avian vet would be necessary to distinguish one from the other but I understand your logistical constrains. What's particulary frustrating is that in the UK you're no longer able to purchase drugs for your own bird without a vet's prescription.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Michael Salkin
We decided to take our bird to our nearest vet but unfortunately she died on the way!
The vet has taken some feather samples and swabs and he also did a micro biopsy and found a trapped egg.Thanks for your help
Regards Toby

My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.