Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 7+year old parakeet Injured left leg fluttering around

Customer Question

My 7+year old parakeet Injured left leg fluttering around cage when I picked up cage.about 8 days ago. Was keeping leg next to body, last 2 days lets it hang. Periodically, tries to perch on it. Manuavers around cage with right leg and beak and is getting more stable. Sleeps with body supported next to cage and right foot on perch. Seed and water are accessible and does feed and drink.
Will his left leg gradually improve? Anything else I can do?
Painful to watch him. Appreciate any advice.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Nick, assessing injury from afar is very difficult for me. To answer you directly, I would need to thoroughly examine Colby's leg from his toes to his hip. A renal tumor that is pressing on the sciatic nerve should always be a consideration when a parakeet of Colby's age loses function in a leg. This is less likely to be the problem if he were completely normal and his symptoms arose peracutely (suddenly) after being frightened in his cage, however. Colby's behavior appears to be lasting too long to represent simple injury. It would be best to have an avian vet (please see here: take a look at him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.