nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.

My chook hasn't been eating or drinking for days now and for

Customer Question

My chook hasn't been eating or drinking for days now and for the last couple of weeks her droppings have been scant, small and abnormally dry.
She's been under the care of a local vet that diagnosed everything from kidney failure and heart disease...
Her abdominal area is swollen and red and her vent area has yellowish coloured deposits and she has a funky smell to her.
She's very lethargic at present and seems to be panting...
I'm located in the Cairns area of Queensland and if you could recommend an avian specialist I'd greatly appreciate it 👍
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear about Kira's situation.

Hopefully if her vet has those clinical suspicions, they have checked bloods (to check kidney function) and sampled some of the fluid in her abdomen (which can be key to determining if we have fluid from heart disease, liver issues, egg peritonitis, tumors, etc). As well, they may need to think about draining her belly if she is panting to just buy her some time as you treat. And if she can be hand fed, then you may want to do so if you are not already (especially since the lack of feces and changes to them are signs that she isn't getting enough food/fluids).

Now in regards ***** ***** question, you are a bit out of the way and avian vets are scarce. Still, your closest option is Wendy Bergen at the Aachilpa Veterinary Group (41 Patrick Street Aitkenvale Queensland 4814). It would be quite a drive but you could at least get in contact with her or have your vet speak to her about how to address this situation best for Kira. The number for her practice is +61 7 47254666.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.