Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He seems to not be able to walk much, he's been sleeping

Customer Question

He seems to not be able to walk much, he's been sleeping since I got home and I don't know when or how he might have injured his leg. He seems to be able grasp my finger and move it be he stays on the floor of his cage and hasn't moved on to his perch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** I'm not sure how old he is my mom just recently bought him at the store
JA: How old is Maguire?
Customer: I'm not sure, I don't know how old Parakeets in the pet stores are sold.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maguire?
Customer: He's still pretty active from what I see, he just won't go on his perch, he's currently eating which is a relief to me
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Injury is very difficult to assess from afar. If you can handle Maguire carefully, please check the affected leg from the tip of his toes up to his hip for evidence of swelling or bruising. If seen, an avian vet (please see here: will need to further evaluate those changes and perhaps X-ray Maguire to check for fracture and the need for splinting. If the leg appears normal to you, a soft tissue injury may have occurred and usually heals very quickly in these very high metabolic rate birds. I must also be concerned about a nutritional deficiency and weakness in that leg. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Maguire's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.