Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I too have 8 week old duck that has an injured foot. She is

Customer Question

i too have 8 week old duck that has an injured foot. She is in a large pond with four other ducks. the foot is limp while in the water and she is struggling to walk on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I cannot see any open wound.
JA: What is the duck's name?
Customer: no name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the duck?
Customer: she is one of the most timid and jumpy breeds.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. An avian vet (please see here: would carefully check and palpate (feel) the affected leg from the tip of the foot to the hip looking for signs of injury - soft tissue and bony changes (crushing injury from bite wounds, dislocation/fractures). The joints of the leg must be of particular concern because an infectious synovitis (joint infection) is a common problem in ducks at this age. A swollen joint would dictate prescribing a system antibiotic to be given directly into this duck's mouth for many weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will take her to a vet. Thanks

I'm pleased to hear this. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?