nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.

Our galah has a lot of mess around his bottom. Could he have

Customer Question

Our galah has a lot of mess around his bottom. Could he have diarrhoea or something else. What can I do for him?
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your lad has a messy backside, then diarrhea would be our top suspect. Especially if we aren't seeing a change in the liquid component of the feces and no straining. In this situation, we do need to tread with case as unwell birds are notoriously subtle with signs of compromised health until the situation is advanced. Therefore, you will want to monitor his appetite, his thirst and stools. If the stools are loose, then we'd want to have him +/- a sample checked by his vet. That way we can head off any infections from bacteria, viruses, or parasites. We can also make sure that dehydration nor weight loss arise because of this. Otherwise, while you are monitoring do make sure his diet is balanced and consider a GI probiotic support (ie Avipro Plus, Bene-bac plus, Synbiotic). That way we can support the gut and clear any mild upsets as we keep a close eye.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at: AAV (, Avian web (, Lafeber database ( or Birdsnway (

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.
Hi Rosemary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?