Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I recently retired and have adopted three affectionate Keel

Customer Question

I recently retired and have adopted three affectionate Keel Billed Toucans all about four months old. The problem is I adopted them from the family of a deceased woman in Nicaragua. Not exactly the best of circumstances. I had always loved Toucans and have been on nearly a ten hour a day crash coarse in feed, housing and care of these three Toucans. I believe I have two males and one female, (brothers and sisters)
My question is, I have no way of brining them to an Avian Veterinarian in Granada, Nicaragua as there are none available. The only advice I got from this regular vet. (cat and Dog) was to clip their wings which I will NOT allow.
Is there any medications or vaccinations I can provide for them. I have put them on a combo. diet of 80% non-acidic fruits and Mazuri, Low Iron pellets which I have yet to ship down there. The birds appear to quite healthy and hand fed affectionate birds as of now, no problems. I just want to make sure I have covered the bases since staying in a third world country has its many shortcomings. Thanks for ANY advice you may have.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in avian health. ou have really done a great job of researching care and trying to give these toucans the best of everything.

There are no vaccinations that we routinely give pet birds. Medications are only used when they get sick. One of the better antibiotics for birds is Baytril . It is by prescription only, but that dog and cat vet could get it for you (probably already has it on hand) should you ever need it. He/she can get dosing instructions from a book they should already have. I hope the need never arises, but the information is useful to have.

A common practice when veterinary help is needed in remote areas is for the regular vet to consult by phone with an avian specialist to provide care when it is needed. You would have to pay both vets, but since we never know when a bird might develop a health condition, this is another thing that would be good to line up in advance. It may involve consulting with a vet in the United States.

If you have more questions, jsut let me know. I wish you many years with your new companions.

Anna