Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Amazon is trying to poop but cant, Loopie he's around 25,

Customer Question

Green Amazon is trying to poop but cant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Loopie he's around 25
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Loopie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loopie?
Customer: Cleaned his vent had little poop on it been last two days. Drinking good eating not as much
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He keeps trying to poop nothing comes out. Been sleeping a lot not making any noise
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. Normally, when a bird is constipated with no other symptoms, feeding some fruit or another juicy food with fiber can help with the problem. If you haven't tried that already, I would do that first. However, when they also stop eating normally, as yours has, we may not be looking at simple constipation. Your bird may have an impaction or other blockage. He could have polyps or even a tumor preventing him form passing droppings.Under these circumstances, the only prudent thing to do is to see an avian vet. This link will take you to lists of vets that will help you find one near you:

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm

In the meantime, dehydration is a risk. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Until you can get to a vet, use a syringe to put some Pedilayte on the bottom of your bird's mouth once per hour. However, his condition may be serious, so try to see a vet as soon as possible. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your Amazon will reach a full recovery.

Anna