August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

I have a 2 year old male. H It's been extremely hot this

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old male. H It's been extremely hot this past week and he lives outside in a pen about 10x12' but has a box with a perch under the coop that is totatlly covered and I have a tarp over part of his "coop" for shade. Give him fresh water morning and evening. Extremely lethargic. Laying in his pen His diet is chicken feed and some blueberries (that he usualy LOVES), apples, an other grains that I frequently give him. I had given him some Electrolyte product for chickens about a week ago in his water. Would that have affected him?? Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. I'm afraid he's dying.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: I doubt my vet in my little town would know what to do. Don't know of any people who have peacocks around here..
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in bird health.I'm sorry to hear of this incident. The chicken electrolytes would not have hurt a peacock. High heat could result in heat stroke. If you still need help, let me how your peacock is doing now. I hope he has recovered.