August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

I think a racoon attacked my Pekin duck. She has broken wing

Customer Question

I think a racoon attacked my Pekin duck. She has broken wing feathers and some open wounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, bleeding has stopped. I've been washing it out with peroxide and clean water to remove maggots etc then putting on a little iodine.
JA: Phew. How old is etc?
Customer: 6 to 8 mths
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about etc?
Customer: She is just acting strange. Not like shock but not hanging out with her other duck friend, wondering around eating bugs etc.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago was the attack?

How deep are the wounds? Are they gaping or any pus/odor?

How is she otherwise? Do you mean she is just withdrawn?

Can you take a photo of these woulds for me? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.