Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Crusty eyes, first one and then the other, someone told me

Customer Question

crusty eyes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: first one and then the other
JA: How old is First One?
Customer: someone told me to try Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about First One?
Customer: these are young from this spring
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Which type of bird is having crusty eyes, please? An infectious conjunctivitis is most common but it's important to note that a conjunctivitis may also arise in conjunction with a systemic respiratory infection which is best treated with a systemic antibiotic. In either case Terramycin ophthalmic ointment is a good choice for ocular infections in birds because of its broad spectrum and efficacy against both Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma - commonly found bacterial infections in birds.

I dose it at a "dab" of ointment in each eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days. You can find this ointment in may pet or feed stores or onlline such as here: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Marketing-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment/dp/B00063KGUK

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin