Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a galah hen that is limping on one leg, she has been

Customer Question

Hi , I have a galah hen that is limping on one leg , she has been paired up with another 2 year old male this year and get on fine but may have been injured mating?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is a wound on her other foot but not this one
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: kate
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kate?
Customer: two year old lutino galah , healthy
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Breeding injuries can occur anywhere on a hen but where the roo has tread and her sides underneath her wings are most commonly lacerated. I wouldn't expect lameness unless she's quite painful in an area away from her legs and favoring that injured area. Remember that a wound on a foot will cause Kate to place the normal leg heavier than the one with the wound. That's often misconstrued as lameness in the normal leg rather than the leg with the foot wound.

In any event, she needs to have the lame leg carefully examined from the tip of her toes to her hips. Early bumblefoot can be difficult to see and if one foot is affected with bumblefoot it's not unusual for the other to be affected as well. Please see here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com//search?q=bumblefoot

If you can't find any obvious injury, Marek's disease (herpesvirus) becomes an important differential diagnosis in any lame chicken because that virus can affect the nerves innervating the legs. She would be older than most hens suffering from Marek's but I've seen it in all ages. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.