Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

Am a new owner how can I tett if they have mites, Mack I 't

Customer Question

Am a new owner how can I tett if they have mites
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Mack I don't know but isbl
JA: How old is Mack I?
Customer: One year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mack I?
Customer: He has a mate lola they have hatchedone white baby.she is still mateing and she lays eggs baby born onmarch11 this year. I love hatching but how long will she lay eggs.mack. is a horney hubby. They are in the same cage
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is***** a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'll be glad to help you today.Birds with mites will scratch and bite themselves excessively. All birds preen themselves to keep their feathers healthy, but with mites, the scratching and biting will be constant. The birds often end up with bald spots. If you cover the cage at night with a white cloth, also look for tiny red or black dots on the cloth. Sometimes mites migrate onto the cage cover.As for egg laying, I first need to know what kind of birds you have. Once I know that, I'll be able to give you more information on that subject.Anna