Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Weeks, I have been fostering a wild baby bird that fell out

Customer Question

For 2 weeks, I have been fostering a wild baby bird that fell out of his nest. I have been feeding him kitten chow (soaked), hardboiled eggs, and meal worms (per intenet directions). His pinfeather wings now have feathers, his tail has grown, and he has been flapping his wings and hopping from branch to branch in his cage. Just today, he will not sit on a branch and remains at the bottom of the cage. He does eat, however. What is happening to him?!
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. To answer you specifically would be very difficult. Stressors come in different forms and so I'd like you to review this site: and pay particular attention to the section entitled "The Importance of a Low Stress Environment".

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.