August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

My chicken is lethargic and really thin upon palpation of

Customer Question

My chicken is lethargic and really thin upon palpation of her breastbone. Her crop seems large and hasn't gone down on size since last night it is also warm to the touch. She is open mouth breathing. I gave her water droplets from a syringe.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Sorry to hear about your chicken's troubles. How old is she and how long has she had this problem? Over wha time period has she lost weight and has she ever had an enlarged crop before?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 6 months. Been lerhargic since yesterday afternoon, no enlarged crop before. Not sure about the weight loss maybe a few days...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is swelling at the top of her leg where her feathers end

The list of potential disease that cause crip stasis is quite long, maybe I can narrow it down. is she in a flock? does she free roam or is she confined to a pen? what do you feed her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has organic layered feed, oyster shell with grit. 3 chickens total. Pen and free range, no grass.

The reasons that a young chicken can have a crop impaction include Marek's disease, foreign body obstruction, fungal or bacterial infection or lead toxicity. Either way, the best thing to do is to clean out the crop because food sitting there will rot and make things worse. This is best done by a vet unless you have experience passing tube and irrigating a crop. have you done this before?