Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He's having sneezing fits. No discharge, Zazoo, I'm not sure

Customer Question

He's having sneezing fits. No discharge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Zazoo, I'm not sure I got him when I was 13 he was fully feathered I'm 22 now
JA: How old is Zaza?
Customer: I don't know maybe 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zaza?
Customer: Just the sneezing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Which type of bird is Zaza, please? While our pet birds can sneeze due to irritants and possibly allergens, respiratory infectious agents (bacteria, viruses, fungi) are likely to be the most common cause. It's important to note that once a bird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Zaza's symptom of sneezing is an important symptoms but it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Historically, I'll find a bacterial infection +/- hypovitaminosis A (lack of vitamin A in the diet. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Zazu's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.