Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

My cockatiel has been acting strange the last few days and I

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. My cockatiel has been acting strange the last few days and I am very worried. She is 13 years old. She seems to be off in her flying, shaking her head a lot, and cannot keep balance. She is still taking water and food and is still protecting her egg. What could this possibly be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?
Customer: No. These are her only odd behaviors
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear your cockatiel is having these problems. While there is no way to be certain based only on an online description, the symptoms you are describing are consistent with an ear problem. Ear problems are not extremely common in the parrot family, but they do happen. Head shaking is the most common symptom, but as an infection progresses, it can affect balance, leading to being 'off' in flying. It also causes dizziness. Infections can be caused by bacteria or fungi. A foreign object, abscess, or tumor in one ear can also cause such symptoms.None of these conditions can be treated by home remedies, and the sooner treatment begins, the more likely it is to be successful. For that reason, I recommend that you make an appointment with an avian vet soon.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this answers your original question about what this could be, and I hope your cockatiel will reach a full recovery.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna