Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have an 18 month old Australorp hen. Has been healthy

Customer Question

I have an 18 month old Australorp hen. Has been healthy until Friday when I found her with a white liquid sack hanging out of her vent. Her crop was swollen full of water and she was throwing it up.I removed the sac & soaked her in warm water because I thought she was egg bound. Also lubricated her vent, but could not feel an egg.The liquid from her mouth did not smell sour, so I thought it was related to the other sac issue rather than sour crop.I put her in a calm secluded dog crate and she seemed much better the next morning. Her crop had returned to normal & she was active with a good appetite and drinking normally. I am still concerned because she has not laid an egg, she has diarrhea and she seems to be "burping". (She breathes with her mouth open, then swallows it down as if she has just taken a drink of water.)Now I am not sure if she is A) better but just stressed from being inside/away from the others & the coop, B) still egg bound, C) never was egg bound and it's some other problem entirely, D) all/none of the above!Any ideas?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm at a loss to understand what you saw and described as a white liquid sack. What did it look like when you removed it? Albumin, perhaps?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It looked like a soft egg shell containing egg white but no yolk.

Ah! Thank you. Every hen can pass a malformed egg from time to time. It's the ones that do so repeatedly that need to be investigated. Reproductive tract infection (salpingitis) is common but oftentimes we can't know why this is occurring until we post (necropsy) these hens which are culled because they're no longer egg producers. Most often you can palpate a retained egg - either through the vent with a gloved and well-lubricated finger or through the coelomic (abdominal) wall. Less commonly, I have to X-ray these hens to find an egg high up in the oviduct or one that has fallen into the coelomic cavity.

Her crop may have become atonic (loss of muscular tone) not because the crop itself was "sick" but because such a crop can reflect illness in other parts of the body. If it appears to have normalized, no further investigation of that department is necessary. Her diarrhea and "urping", however, indicate GI distress and her crop is part of her GI tract, of course. Once again, infection (bacterial, viral, fungal) needs to be considered as do parasites such as coccidia and roundworms. It would be reasonable to worm her with piperazine (Wazine, e.g., which addresses roundworms) and amprolium (Corid, e.g., which addresses coccidia) and also initiate tylosin therapy in the form of Tylan 50. Are you familiar with that antibiotic which should be available in your local feed store?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am familiar with the antibiotic but not the piperazine and amprolium. I have heard of both but never used them. I have recently purchased Verm X as a wormer but have not yet used it. Would that work as an alternative?How long should I treat with the antibiotic?Also, I currently have her isolated - should that continue?

Quarantining might not be necessary but it does give you the opportunity to observe her more closely. Verm X is an herbal remedy. I don't know of any scholarly studies demonstrating efficacy and so I can't recommend such a product...even if it were efficacious. The tylosin should be adminstered for 5-7 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This was the only Corid that I could find. It is labelled for cows. Is this ok for chickens and if so, what dosage should I use?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the Wazine, but the dosage is confusing. It says "for each 100 birds, use 2oz Wazine in 2 gallons of water". I assume that means 1 chicken needs .02oz, but why does it matter the amount of water? Can I just use a syringe & squirt it in her mouth undiluted?

Amprolium can be dosed at 50-100 mg/L of water for 5-7 days. That product contains 28,350 mg/30 grams of product - much too concentrated for your purposes. See if you can find something like this:

Your local feed store should be able to order you in the proper product if it's not already on the shelf.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could I feed them chick starter instead? Like this: it contain enough amprolium? Also what do you think about my question above about the Wazine dosage?

Yes, the chick starter should do the trick but only the chick starter should be offered for 5-7 days.

I didn't see the Wazine question. Mea culpa. It doesn't matter how many birds you're treating. The dilution is still 2 ounces of Wazine in 2 gallons of water. If they're only going to drink one gallon, then you mix 1 ounce of Wazine in 1 gallon of water, etc. If you prefer to dose them directly, you would dose at 45-110 mg/lb orally once. I don't know the concentration of your Wazine product and so I don't know what volume of Wazine would contain 45-110 mg. If you need my help in that regard please give me the concentration of your product. I have to leave my computer for a few hours buit promise to reply as soon as I return.