August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

Some of 's actions of late have me worried and wanting to be

Customer Question

Some of Joe’s actions of late have me worried and wanting Joe to be checked out by an avian veterinarian, he has been moody (seems irritated, acts like he wants to bite, does not want to come out or go in his cage) when he was not moody for the last three weeks we have had Joe, has been taking lots of naps while sleeping the night away, acting like he has something caught in his throat, but does not seem to be in any pain and that retching motion stops and he seems ok, squeaks like he is hurt when playing with his toys, but does not seem injured. None of Joe’s actions may be an issue, and it may be new parrot owner issues and not a Joe issue - Suggestions
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Im glad that Joe has found a home with someone so concerned about his welfare. Change can be as difficult for birds as it is for people and some seem to do better than others. I agree that Joe's actions seem to be rooted in behavior but a complete examination by a veterinarian experienced in avian medicine is a great first step in confirming this.

Assuming that he checks out healthy, maintaining a normal routine will help him adjust. If you can mimic as much of his old routine as possible this will help his transition and you can then slowly adjust the routine to match your own lifestyle and household. If you are familiar with Joe and how he was in his old home, you can more easily assess his normal personality and that may help you decide if he is experiencing changes from his norm or not. Patience is the key with parrots as they are very intelligent and can be quite sensitive to their environment and to the emotions or their human companions.

If you have never had a parrot before, it may help to acquaint yourself with the peculiarities of Joe's specific species/breed as some are more likely to bond to one person and others are more likely to be social butterflies.

If he is otherwise eating well and passing normal stools, then he is likely in an adjustment phase and not having a health issue.

Best of luck in helping Joe adjust to his new environment. Parrots are wonderful pets- I grew up with them and have many fond memories of being entertained by their antics and personalities.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joe visited the avian vet on Monday and was found to be in great health and acted like everyone there was his best friend, Joe also enjoyed his ride to and from the vet. We have not had a biting event lately but Joe is still taking his time getting to know us, but we are working on making him happy and yes we understand it takes awhile for a parrot to adjust. We are now working on getting Joe to play with his toys as well as be more at ease with us. Joe talks, eats, drinks, steps up, sits on our finger, hands, arm and will take a mist shower twice a day. At the moment Joe is happy with my wife Ann or Me and has not pushed either of us away - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Joetheamazingamazonparrot/?ref=group_browse_new

Im glad that joe was found to be in good health.

thank you so much for the link!!! i love amazons. i find them to be very social and they seem to be at their best when they are the center of attention. ours could capture the room. i had a yellow naped amazon growing up and some of my fondest memories were of him standing at the bottom of the stairs calling my dad's name and asking if he was going to go to work today. he loved to talk. Sonny was a little moody but i think with time your joe will adjust to his new routine and home. he is very lucky to have found you and i wish you all the very best for a happy healthy and long future together!!