PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Is it possible and safe to decrow a rooster?

Customer Question

Category: Bird
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

A procedure does exist. Although it's available, it's expensive and sometimes the animals don't survive surgery. There are varying degrees of opinion on whether or not this is a humane solution to the noise factor that tends to accompany the ownership of roosters. Nevertheless, it remains an option.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What does the procedure entail? Approx. how much would this this cost? I am inquiring as an alternative to slaughter.

I would expect to spend around $500, perhaps more depending on location. It depends on where you go and not all places offer such a procedure. You will likely need to seek out an avian specialist.

There are varying reports of how this is done as it's not a procedure that many learn or are willing to perform. Typically a small opening is made into the thoracic inlet and a split is then made into what is basically the voice box for birds (syrinx). This procedure basically inhibits the ability to force air through the syrinx, thus resulting in a loss of ability to effectively crow.

There is a veterinarian who has made quite the comprehensive page here: https://quietroosters.com/the-procedure/ regarding this procedure that he often performs.

Checking in. How is your companion doing? Any other questions I can answer about this procedure?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy