Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

She is VERY lethargic, not eating, and drinking a great

Customer Question

She is VERY lethargic, not eating, and drinking a great deal. huddles in the shade most of the day, likes laps once she settles down (we have been giving wormer, garlic, and yogurt.... she was eating this until this morning, no interest!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Gracie is about 3. She is Delaware, was one of the leaders of the pack. Her crop feels a little water-balloonish, but not huge. We feel responsible cuz we stopped garlic months ago, only occassional yogurt. do you think antibiotics would be a good idea??
JA: I'm sure Gracie feels you are doing your best. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: Lost lots of weight. her bone in her chest (name??) is quite pronounced.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience raising poultry. I'm just letting you know that I am putting together some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience. I'll be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. From what you have described, it does sound like Gracie is suffering from a crop problem. When the crop becomes full and impacted and it isn't quickly remedied, fungus grows in it, causing sour crop. If not treated quickly, it is often fatal. The best option is to see a vet for a ceratin diagnosis and some Nystatin or another effective medication. There are supportive treatments you can do at home, but on their own, they're not likely to result in a cure. You can massage the crop a time or two a day. Hold Gracie with her head down so she doesn't aspirate the liquid that may come up. Of all the home measures, massage is most likely to help. Sometimes it helps to withhold all food for 24 hours, but provide plenty of water. Some chicken keepers report that feeding yogurt helps, but you have already tried this with no results. Others like to put apple cider vinegar in the water. As for antibiotics, they might help if a bacterial illness is responsible. Crop problems are more likely to be caused by a fungal infection. I don't have a lot of faith in these home methods, and prefer to see a vet right away.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope that whatever you decide to do, Gracie will be able to recover.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!