August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

Laying hen, w yr old, found in the corner in the dirt,

Customer Question

Laying hen, w yr old, found in the corner in the dirt, looked like yolk on hear feathers. Gave epson bath and notice feathers missing and looks red beind her comb. Not surenif other chicken attacked he or she is sick. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: 2 yr old
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Licorice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Licorice?
Customer: She is eating and drinkimg today bit have her separated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years experience raising chickens. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Has Licorice laid any eggs since you've had her separated?

Is there any swelling of the vent area?

Thank you.