August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

I have 2 small ducks. Born if Feb of this year. They roam

Customer Question

I have 2 small white ducks. Born if Feb of this year. They roam our yard freely, and at night share the hen house with chickens and 1 rooster. Four days ago I closed the hen house door for the night, as we have fox and cyoties in our woods. The 2 ducks walked in just fine. Next morning I opened the door, everyone came out just fine, except the one duck was walking with a limp. I have been able to hold him and tried to feel where the problem is located, but have not been successful in helping him walk better.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, I did look at both feet and found nothing. I'm a nurse so I tried to check him over. He never flinched or seemed anxious.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Since I have 2 ducks and cant tell if male/female, this one is called Big Duck.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Big?
Customer: No, eating, cleaning himself, walks everywhere the other duck does.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Did you find any signs of swelling, wounds, or boney instability or crunching when you felt the leg?

Any stiffness or swelling in the joints?

Any changes under the feet?

Was there anything in the house he could have fallen from?