Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner
94516894

She eats fine and is alert when I'm feeding her. But she

Customer Question

She eats fine and is alert when I'm feeding her. But she can't waik just falls on her left side. When I pick her up she don't bite or pain. But bottom abdominal area is hard. I put her in warm water for 20-25 minutes, feeding her grapes, water. Nothing is happening.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Pepper and shes about A year
JA: How old is Pepper?
Customer: About a year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?
Customer: I'm thinking that her eggs is just piling up in her. Don't know what to do with her. I hate to cause she's very alert. I'm trying hard to help her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Pepper is unwell. I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

​How long has the problem been occurring?
Has Pepper previously been laying? If so, when did she lay her last egg?

I agree from your description that she may have eggs stuck inside her. This is what we refer to as "egg bound". In some birds, the eggs are entire with the shell intact, and sitting in the normal location (in the uterus). These cases can often managed medically by your local vet through a series of injections (including oxytocin hormone, calcium and fluid therapy) to help the eggs pass. This, however, won't work if there is something else causing a blockage (eg. faeces, a mass, an abnormal organ), physically preventing the eggs from passing. Such a blockage would need to be address separately before eggs can be removed, medically or surgically. An xray would help differentiate these situations.

In more severe and prolonged cases, the egg material can have ruptured into the major body cavity (coelome), having escaped through the uterus wall or the oviduct. These are emergency situations and the bird is likely to become very sick, very fast as the egg material causes a severe inflammatory condition within the body.

I would advice taking Pepper to your local vet, preferably a bird vet, so that she can firstly have a thorough physical examination to rule out other obvious causes of illness, and to initiate an appropriate course of treatment. Time is of the essence, so I would get her seen to sooner rather than later. Often egg bound bird become severely ill within days, and after that are very difficult to save.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Chris