Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Found cockatiel in the ocean. Extremely lethargic. Probably

Customer Question

Found cockatiel in the ocean. Extremely lethargic. Probably dehydrated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cockatiel's name and age?
Customer: I don't know but it's young
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cockatiel?
Customer: It seemed much better this morning. It was walking around. Now it barely moved. Trying to give baby bird nutrition and water with dropper.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in avian health. It was kind of you to help this bird. You have done the right things. However, it is very likely that the bird got water in its lungs if it was in the ocean. Only a vet can treat that. After going through sucha traumatic event, a complete vet exam would be best. The vet can check for aspiration pneumonia and provide more effective treatment for dehydration. If teh cockatiel is still alive, I suggest making an appointment. this link will help you find a vet:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope the bird has survived and will be able to recover.

Anna

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately the bird died shortly after I submitted my question.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. I thought from your description that he didn't have a good chance. He did probably have salt water in his lungs. That can even be hard for a vet to treat. At least you gave him a little comfort in his final hours. It was kind to do that. I'm sorry for how it turned out.

Anna