Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our approx 6 yr old Barred Rock Rooster has been having

Customer Question

Our approx 6 yr old Barred Rock Rooster has been having trouble walking for some time. We've been treating him and the 3 hens for scaly leg mites with Ivermectin, but now realize there is another problem since he has been basically sitting and reluctant to use his legs for about 5 days. He is not paralyzed as far as we can tell; I've seen him move his legs. Upon closer exam, I noticed there is a bright red band of color around one of his legs, right above the hock. The hock is swollen too. On the other leg, a spot of the same color exists above the hock, but it does not go all the way around his leg as on the first. Your thoughts?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Carol, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a photo(s) of his hocks/redness to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as My initial thought was an infectious synovitis (joint infection).

I'm just following up on our conversation about None. How is everything going?