Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She hasa bad let..'tknow what from. I had put her in

Customer Question

She hasa bad let..don'tknow what from. I had put her in acage,andfedher foodsshe likesfor severaldays.She got better, so I puther back with her penmate..(another hen).Then she jumped out of her house, and hasnotwantedto wak much since.I haveher back in cagenow,but this morning,she willnot even openher eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Baby, and is about 3 years aruacana
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby,?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bad leg...need something for pain
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Whenever a chicken goes lame I first need to examine the leg from top to bottom looking for indications of trauma - erythema (redness), swelling, and obvious wounds. If no evidence of trauma exists, however, Marek's disease (herpesvirus) becomes an important differential diagnosis because this virus can cause tumors involving the sciatic nerve of the leg. Marek's also can cause a uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) which might explain Baby's not opening her eyes. Please take a look at this site and tell me if Baby resembles any of the photos of Marek's-affected chickens:!mareks-disease/c1qzk

Aspirin dosed as 325 mg (one adult aspirin) dissolved in a pint of water can be helpful as an analgesic in chickens.