Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Just yesterday we got a new budgie he's 7 weeks old, he was

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: just yesterday we got a new budgie he's 7 weeks old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: he was sitting on me and I was going to put him in his cage when he started and flew hard into the window
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: so hard he kind of knoked him shelf out
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: he sits on the perch and kind of hangs his head
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: but this morning he flew about
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Glói
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm in Iceland so its hard for me to find an aviary vetrinarian. I have been googling a lot and he might just be stressed out due to being in a new home but I'm still afraid if he got very hurt
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he hasn't eaten a lot since he got here yesterday ( around 6 pm, now its 11 am)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Head trauma in birds is most often treated by not doing; in other words, handling is kept to a minimum and the bird is placed in a dimly lit, quiet, warm (29.4C) area until it remisses from the shock of such trauma. It mustn't be allowed to fly about until it has completely stabilized.

It's not unusual for the stress of rehoming to result in inappetence. Because nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Gloi's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

(Curiously, I just received photos from friends currently visiting your island. Wow!) Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?