Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

2 of my chickens have a bulge under their vent that is hot

Customer Question

2 of my chickens have a bulge under their vent that is hot and red. One of them looks like it might have torn open a little and healed back. They both look uncomfortable and have trouble sitting. Could this be e coli or salmonella? How do I treat it? I am giving electrolytes today but wonder if I should give antibiotics and what kind and how much. I have never had chickens before, please help.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Katrina, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. "A bulge under their vent..." is unclear to me. I suspect that the vent itself is prolapsed. Please see here and tell me if a prolapsed vent is what you're seeing: