Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Baby duckling was injured by our border collie. s right

Customer Question

baby duckling was injured by our border collie. His right led]\\\
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: sorry hit the wrong key/ his leg is limp and he does not put any weight on it. Not sure if it is broken or dislocated.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on the foot
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: he is eating and drinking. he is a day old duckling named "sticker"
JA: Thanks. I like it also.
Customer: we live in Marengo, Ohio. Is there anyone close by that might look at the duckling? We tried to find an audubon society but couldn't locate a name or phone number to contact.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Or?
Customer: We think his right wing may be injured. He can move by using one leg and his wings. Nothing else. He is perky and alert.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

This duckling will need an avian-oriented vet although a generalist vet might be willing to examine it for obvious fractures/dislocation. Check here for an avian vet near you: I found 4 such vets in Columbus (see printscreen).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?