Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I took m outside to clean s cage and I smelt gas. I did not

Customer Question

I took him outside to clean his cage and I smelt gas. I did not know carnies were sensitive to it. He was outside maybe five minutes. When I brought him in....I instantly saw something was wrong. I immediately put him under a fan and he almost died twice...could not stand up... But it has been three hours now and he is standing on his perch but constantly pus his right foot up and down. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Tweetie and only two years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tweeter?
Customer: No...he has always sang, had a good appetite, cheerful until now....he almost closed his eyes within 15 minutes after the incident but kept him up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. May I have an update on Tweetie, please? Such an intoxication might be treated with supplemental oxygen in an oxygen cage; there's little that an owner can do at home. This is why canaries were brought down into mines; they would react to toxic gases in mines before miners would. His placing his foot up and down might indicate a peripheral neuropathy due to the gas. His "almost dying" would represent a central (brain) neuropathy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is still living today and he has stopped twitching but I found him lying in the food bowl. Should I carry him to the vet?

An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) would be ideal but a generalist vet can administer supplemental oxygen in an incubator. I regret that I can't know the prognosis for his recovery even with the best of supportive care - oxygen, subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration, and tube feeding. Have you identified which gas was responsbile?